Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can we call it music?

Dictionary.com defines music as this:
1) an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
and
6) any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sound or sounds
Based on definition one, I have to concede that much of today's "music" is in fact music. However, I refer to #6 to claim that it is in fact not really music. How can some of that be called sweet or pleasing?!?
I understand how taste in music is very subjective and to each their own, but after listening to music with my neighbors (sorry gals), I realized that these kids (I say that because I am 4-5 years older than them) are growing up with terrible music. I am referring mostly to rap/hip-hop. Sure, sure, I understand some can make the case for them being good or whatever, but let's be honest, a lot of it is garbage. For example, my neighbors showed me a song in which T-Pain (I think I got it right) sang a song entitled, "take your shirt off" with the chorus being a bit more vulgar, "take your mutha f&*%ing shirt off." Wow, seriously? Listening to the vulgar and degrading lyrics of much of these music in and of itself is damaging enough, but there is no creativity. They all deal with money and sex. They often rip off other songs to make their own renditions. If I cared more, I could go further into arguing about it, but I that isn't the purpose of this post.
I realized that bands from previous generations are now going largely unnoticed and forgotten. Songs and bands that I grew up are disappearing. So, this post is dedicated to the youth today who have forgotten about good music. Enjoy these songs!
70's
Tangerine-Led Zeppelin
Hurting Each Other-The Carpenters
Ground Control to Major Tom-David Bowie
80's
Hold Me Now-The Thompson Twins
Where the Streets Have No Name-U2
Livin' on a Prayer- Bon Jovi
90's
Lightening Crashes-Live
Dreams-The Cranberries
Unforgiven-Metallica
God of Wine-Third Eye Blind
These are just a few songs that I love and I think should be heard more often!

2 comments:

  1. Solid list... I would have added Goo Goo Dolls and possibly Howie Day, but I am glad that Third Eye Blind made an appearance. If you ever get to see them in concert... they are even better in person. I will tell you about that sometime... New Year's Eve... Boston... It was wonderful. I could have died happy that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! I do agree with you though. I was talking to a 22 yr old girl the other day and I mentioned Pearl Jam. She had never heard of them. WHAT?!

    ReplyDelete