Monday, April 26, 2010

The Arabic Republic of Egypt

 A view from my hotel
I have now officially spent a whole day in Cairo Egypt. Wow! What a day it was indeed! We arose early and had breakfast in the hotel (we get to go search for apartments tomorrow, so until then we'll be in a hotel). Then we went on a get-to-know-Cairo trip. Our teachers stood at specific checkpoints. We traveled through the city in order to become more familiarized with it. When we had a second to spare I would try and strike up an Arabic conversation. I also bought Harry Potter 2 in Arabic, that will go with my future additions of Lord of the Rings and others. After the get-to-know-Cairo adventure, our teacher let us loose to explore the city for the following 6 hours. We walked around the opera house that was in a nice area with pretty gardens. Once we had thought we saw enough, we went to walk home. We didn't make it. I stopped to try and read a sign next to some pretty gardens. While myself and 4 others of our group of 57 were trying to interpret this sign, some guy said queried if we could understand this sign. Turns out this small gesture influenced the next several hours of our day, and hopefully several more hours to come. Turns out he is a popular event planner. He knows all the famous people and conveniently enough happens to be planning the next Andrea Boccili concert and volunteered to get us in for free as well as several other things. He seemed legit and said he would hook us up. We will see if he can deliver. Then we ate en route to the house, another good meal. After going home we rested briefly and then had a few more things to take care of.

I don't plan on describing every day in this much detail, but for special occasions I think I will. It was a fun day.
 A view from the street of downtown Cairo
The beautiful Nile (really quite polluted)
Sorry I didn't rotate it, some of us before crossing the bridge to Zamalek Island
The Cairo Opera House

Plenty more to blog about and more pictures to post, I haven't decided the best way to do this, but we'll figure it out as we go. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What an Awesome adventure you are having. Keep this updated, I'm excited to hear about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the pics! I also saw the ones on your facebook. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete