Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ancient Ruins

Yesterday, 26 April, I was able to view one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. After seeing so many movies about the pyramids, I finally went their in real life. What an experience! It was incredible thinking what man is capable of doing! What beautiful creations! I learned a lot while there. It was an incredible experience being in the presence of these massive monuments to the Pharaohonic might. Cairo is gradually spreading so far as to swallow these landmarks, the most striking contrast is the Pizza Hut that is no more than a 3 minute walk from the Sphinx. We were continually warned about peddlers wanting to cajole or guilt us into buying souvenirs. There were several, but not as many as I anticipated. Anyone who has the chance should go and see the pyramids. After seeing the pyramids, we went home and opened the day for whatever wanted. I took a 3 hour nap :( Then we went out with the simsar (kind of like a real estate agent) and we settled on an apartment in which we can live! More to come on this later!!

PS The beautiful thing about the Arabic language is the root system. Almost every word is derived from 3 root letters and uses patterns to form words with similar meanings as the root system. For example, kataba means "to write" and maktaba means library. So I learned in a very real way how roots are connected today. The root letters s-h-l connote an idea of making easy or being easy. Thus, the word ishaal means...well...I'll let Google Translate inform you and you can decide how it's related to the root letters that connote something easy :)

Additionally, I will be trying to throw most of my favorite photos on facebook, I hope you can access these via my blog.




The illustrious Sphinx







I love the ancient feel this photo has







Our group





The Caravan





Needs no explanation



4 comments:

  1. Sean this is super cool! I'm glad you have this blog! Now everyone can be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sean -- You are ridiculous. Did you have to look up that word because the food doesn't agree with your stomach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you're in Egypt!! Have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete