Friday, May 29, 2009

At Long Last...

So, plans didn't work out as we had hoped and we had to make an unfortunate layover on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. So, now that all the suspense is over, I can finally finish the arduous task of giving a play by play on our adventures.
So, we left Japan around the afternoon and took a 8 hour flight from Japan to Hawaii. That's a a short way in a long time, and to make matters worse, we weren't in the most comfortable of planes as evidenced below. It was in a military plane that provided awkward seats with cargo 2 feet in front of us. However, arrive we did. This is where it got sticky. We arrived at midnight Hawaii time. Now, we have been awake for 16+ hours, 8 of which were traveling, there are a ton of loud and rambunctious little kids, and we are in an airport terminal. No rental cars were available and no hotels would answer their phones at 2 in the morning. There were no chance of sleeping with the noise and with small seats with arm rests that refuse to allow you to be comfortable. So, I half dosed for a short while, read, watched TV, and did stuff of the like. Then I had the brilliant idea to go and take pictures of the sunrise, and brilliant it was!! This is what I was privileged to see, but because I am still a rookie in photography I wasn't fully able to grasp the beauty of it. Then, things took a turn for the better.





It started like this...










And ended like this...


















Bird of Paradise...in paradise












We got a taxi and rode to the air force owned beach and relaxed for several hours there. The following are pictures of our activities. I spent most of the time on the beach reading Angels and Demons when I could steal it from my sister. I also swam alone, kayaked with my sis, played frisbee all by my lonesome, ate with the others, took a nap which resulted in a nice sunburn, and took some fun pictures. I hope you enjoy. Well, we returned to the terminal for a few more hours where we played cards, read, and napped again. Eventually our flight left around 4ish. I got the great honor to sit in the cockpit and watch takeoff with the other pilots. I enjoyed it. After another highly exciting 6 hours in the plane we arrived finally in Spokane. Doug Nelson was there at the terminal to pick us up and shephard us home. Shortly after my father had to buy a ticket and fly to Seattle to pick up our car which was parked there. Then drive 5 more hours home along. That, however, marks the end of our journey! Enjoy the pictures!! You can find some more on my facebook album that I recently put up, it's devoted to the trip. Thanks for your attention during this adventure!





I thought it was funny...









Place to rent equipment







The beautiful









We went kayaking, it was a lot of fun




1 comment: